Mons. Spiridione Penza took the initiative to built this church dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows in 1907. The present facade was built between 1909 and 1910. On 9th September 1913 Bishop Pietro Pace declared this church as a new Parish. It served as a parish church until 1937 when the newly built church dedicated to St Peter was opened. The titular feast used to be celebrated annually on every third Sunday of September.
Our Lady of Sorrows Church