The Knights of St John constructed several entrenchments, or low lying rampart walls, around the Maltese coast in order to resist enemy invasions. This example at Wied il‑Buni, with a height of 20 feet, was one of the longest as it used to stretch up to Ferretti Battery in Qajjenza. It was built in 1760 under the design of the Balì Francois Jacob de Tignè and incorporated low lying obtuse‑angled bastions. Unfortunately, however, only a small section remains today.
Wied il-buni entrenchment