This is the oldest oil depot in Malta which was opened by the Shell company in 1914. In 1921 a large pontoon was built in order to allow ships to moor alongside for the disembarkment of oil products. In front of this plant rest the Cold War Memorial which was inaugurated following a summit on the 2nd and 3rd December 1989 between the United States President George H.W. Bush and Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev and which effectively brought an end to the Cold War.
Shell Plant and Cold War Memorial